Monday, September 17, 2012

Why I chose to take Japanese--My first blog

コんにちわ ございます、

Here I begin my blog reflecting on the class Japanese 101 that I have enrolled in at プリンストン だいがく。I hope that using this site as a journal will act as a guide to my learning experience.



I feel as if I am entering a temple of knowledge.  As I chose to enroll in Japanese 101, this image flashed in my mind.  I wish to study Japanese martial arts, and thought it would be advantageous to study the language and culture from which the arts came.  I also am very enthusiastic about the Princeton in いしかわ study abroad program, and hope to participate in that this coming summer.

The first few days studying Japanese have been challenging, but not overwhelming. Studying  ひろがな has forced me to rethink my studying methods--it is difficult to think in terms of an alphabet that is not Latin. However, I know that thinking in this new context, the context of a new language and a new culture, with enrich my academic experience and the rest of my life. I look forward to continuing my study of the Japanese language in the years to come.

ありがと ございます for reading,
あれん

4 comments:

  1. あれんーさん、

    はじめまして。 ゲネンバッカーです。ぼくは よねねんせい です。 どうぞよろうしく。ぼくは ノートルダムだいがくのがくせいです。It's definitely difficult to memorize all the hiragana, but with lots of practice you will get there! I find it amazing that you want to study Japanese martial art. がんばって! 
    なねんせい ですか?

    しつれいします。


    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also interested in the いしかわ program. I'm sure if you study hard enough you'll get in. As for the ひらがな, I found that using flashcards made it easy to learn, so maybe you can try it out for かたかな. You can find them ready-to-print online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. アレンさん、
    はじめまして。リーです。一年生です。どうぞよろしく。私も Princeton in 石川本当に行きたい。Hopefully we can go together、ね?Learning ひらがな is difficult, but as ゲネンバッカーさん said, you'll definitely get much better with practice. Just make sure to pay attention to stroke order and stroke ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martial art? That's so cool!
    Good luck with your Japanese.
    ワンサヌワット

    ReplyDelete